----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Rodgers" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 12:35 PM
Subject: [data-protection] Directors telephone numbers

> As a local authority we have directors of service who have PAs.
> Director's
> are contacted usually through their PA's through a specific number i.e.
> 2000.  The director themselves have a direct line - say 2001 - but this is
> not common knowledge outside of the organisation.
>
> We now have an FOI request asking for the direct numbers of the directors.
> To be honest it's likely that, in practice, these are camped on to their
> PA's but that is besides the point.
>
> A phone number doesn't identify someone as such so I don't think we can
> claim it as personal information, however could we claim that revealing
> this number would be prejudicial to our business (e.g. Section 36) in
> managing the workload of our directors?

I can see that the Chief Exec's email address is

Her address is

Ms Christine Gilbert
Chief ExecutiveLondon Borough of Tower Hamlets
Mulberry Place Town Hall
5 Clove Crescent. London E14 2BG

I would imagine that if it can be shown that someone can ring your Council's
switchboard and be put through to the Chief Exec's office that would be
satisfactory.

Therefore under FoI that would be sufficient.

You could tell the person that they need to just ring up the Town Hall and
ask for the Chief Exec. I don't think that you need to give their direct
line.

But I would still post this to the JISC FoI group.

Nick Landau

            All user commands can be found at : -

Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner