DVLA do seem to take a rather coercive approach at times.  e.g. out of date
T.V. tax advertisements.

Cultures adopting those types of stances generally seem to take less notice
of fairness to the majority of data subjects.

With the exception of the emission data, all of the items listed as released
are publicly available if an individual takes time to look at a vehicle.
(Emissions require additional action to collect.) Recalling that there was
discussion a few years ago regarding the installation of emission measuring
devices with cameras at roadsides, I suppose this is cheaper centrally (as
the car owner pays directly for the emissions test during the MOT) and could
possibly be seen as less intrusive. Whether making available the MOT
emissions data for other unknown and unrelated purposes is legitimate the
ICO or courts may eventually have to decide.

The main difference with the internet access is that anybody anywhere can
obtain the data made publicly available.
In my opinion that increase in the potential for access to the data, coupled
with the greater visibility of coercive mechanisms does rather seem to
negate, and increasingly continues to erode more general fairness issues.

Are impositions which are fairly produced reducing, or is that an impression
generated by noticing more of the others?

Ian W