So far I think I can say with reasonable confidence that no-one has
harvested my email address from this list to use in spam or for other
nefarious purposes.

I think that may be a mixture of JISCMail security and also the fact the I
sent "SET * CONCEAL" to the list the moment I joined it.  "Conceal" conceals
your email address from all except logged in users, if I interpret the
command correctly.

30 of us so far have set our status to "CONCEAL", but I think it would be
worth everyone's while to consider doing so.  I have also set the default
status for new users to reflect this setting.

I was prompted to do this by a search which could reveal information about
any list member to the outside world.  It revealed the following:

BEGINS
 DATA-PROTECTION
<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A1=ind0507&L=data-protection>
Archives - July 2005
... From: Maurice Frankel <[log in to unmask]> Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005
11:37:31 +0100 Data Protection in the UAE Data Protection in the UAE (56
lines) From: Tim Trent <[log in to ...
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A1=ind0507
<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A1=ind0507&L=data-protection>
&L=data-protection
ENDS

My search was http://tinyurl.com/v53gh and following it showed me the item
above.  And yes, I am sad enough to search for my own name, but it could
have been a search on any of us.

We have a dilemma, now, of course.  As moderators we could switch at a
stroke every user to CONCEAL.  Our challenge is that users control their own
destiny, and we "ought not to".  So, since new users are safeguarded, we
will leave it at present to individuals to alter those settings.  However a
sudden and substantial groundswell will lead to the switch being flipped
centrally to save everyone from faffing about.  I don't mean "Make
representations on the list."  PLEASE DON'T.  We can check who has flipped
the switch in a management panel.  If enough users do that in the next hour
or two I think we can say it is valid for us to take that action centrally.

Tim Trent - Consultant
Direct: +44(0)1344 392644 Mobile:+44(0)7710 126618
email: [log in to unmask]
<blocked::mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Marketing Improvement Limited, Abbey House, Grenville Place, Bracknell,
United Kingdom, RG12 1BP <blocked::http://www.marketingimprovement.com/>
http://www.marketingimprovement.com

Important: This mail contains proprietary information some or all of which
may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify
the author by replying to this email. if you are not the intended recipient
you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email.
If you are not the named recipient please notify us immediately.  This email
and any attachment(s) are believed to be virus-free, but it is the
responsibility of the recipient to make all the necessary virus checks. This
email and any attachments to it are copyright of Marketing Improvement
Limited unless otherwise stated. Their copying, transmission, reproduction
in whole or in part may only be undertaken with the express permission, in
writing, of Marketing Improvement Limited.

            All user commands can be found at : -
Any queries about sending or receiving message please send to the list owner