"Q&A: the sex offenders register"

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,1689261,00.html

"Failure to register is an offence which can carry a term of imprisonment.
Registrants must inform the police within three days if they change their
name or address, and disclose if they are spending seven days or more away
from their home. Convicted sex offenders have to register with their local
police every year.

What else does a registered offender have to do?

Those on the register are required to notify the police if they change their
name or address, and are also required to reveal any plans to travel outside
the UK. Again, failure to comply is an offence."

"How long do offenders remain on the register?

It depends on the offence. Those given a jail sentence of more than 30
months for sexual offending are placed on the register indefinitely.

Those imprisoned for between six and 30 months remain on the register for 10
years, or five years if they are under 18. Those sentenced for six months or
less are placed on the register for seven years, or three and a half years
if under 18. Those cautioned for a sexual offence are put on the register
for two years, or one year if under 18."

"Who gets told about the movements of sex offenders?

Head teachers, doctors, youth leaders, sports club managers and others,
including landlords, are notified of the existence of a local sex offender
on a confidential basis, but a system of general disclosure is unlikely to
happen in Britain."

This is currently a confidential register limited to circulation of
information to those above and therefore it is unclear under the present
system how it can be described as prurience.

Any enquiry about a criminal record eg a CRB check also presumably covers
people who have served their sentence - although, of course, serious
offenders such as murderers might be on licence etc and therefore will never
in that sense have completed their sentence.

Nick Landau