I am not quite sure that you are right regarding his pubs not having the
authority:

"6. Photocopies of the personal details page of the Passport may be made,
for the purposes of record keeping only, by the following persons:
  a.. the holder/owner of the Passport;
  b.. notaries, solicitors, banks and government departments;
  c.. a person or institution subject to the requirements of the Money
Laundering Regulations, or a person certifying that identification checks
required under these Regulations have taken place;
  d.. an employer subject to the requirements of section 8 of the Asylum and
Immigration Act 1996."
I presume that they require it for the last category.

I have recently sold and bought a property - I had to take my passport in to
the estate agent and they copied it - I presume that they would be required
under Money Laundering Regulations. Of course, a property can be sold for
cash and doing so would evade the banking process.

Nick Landau

PS Yesterday I was required to attend an agency in person with my passport
so that they could see that I actually held the original copy of the
passport! Just as well that both I and they were in London.