On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Tim Trent wrote:

> Well, that is why we can each set what we please, Nigel.

The issue is the default setting.

> I had expected this reaction from someone, but it really goes back to
> the concept of people "disliking people using their internet", rather
> than giving all users the free choice they wish for.

And so they can.  They can have a 'safe' default, which is compatible with
all mail systems, or they can use their free right to choose and select a
format which does not work for all systems and carries many implications,
giving them the responsibility for determining for themselves whether or
not it is appropriate for their environment.

Making HTML the default is plain irresponsible, and against all security
and notional best practice.

Can we have another survey to solicit opinions? :)

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK