From: Irving [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 October 2006 10:57
To: John Armitage; Jordan Crandall
Subject: NYT: Sooner or Later, All Electronic Gadgets Will Converge into a
Single Gadget

October 2, 2006 NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/02/opinion/02mon4.html?th
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/02/opinion/02mon4.html?th&emc=th> &emc=th

Editorial Observer

Sooner or Later, All Electronic Gadgets Will Converge Into a Single Gadget

By VERLYN KLINKENBORG

A couple of months ago I bought a utility jack. It lifts almost anything I
can slip its nose under. It also clamps and winches, and that's all it does.
Down at the barn, I have a tool shop full of single-purpose tools - pliers
that can't be used as screwdrivers, logging chains that don't double as
chain saws. I admire the stolid singleness of that utility jack - also that
it needs no batteries, cannot be upgraded and won't play MP3's. It will
become obsolete when gravity fails.

But elsewhere there is a different rule: everything that plugs in must
converge. Once that wasn't the case. In the American household circa 1960
(and 1970 and 1980 and 1990), a telephone could not also be a walkie-talkie
or a television or a camera or a record player or a radio or a photo album
or an answering machine or an adding machine.

It certainly couldn't be a Web browser, because there was no such thing as
the Web. Nor could it talk to the other electronic devices in the house or
pinpoint your exact location or send e-mail or record voice notes or store
addresses and phone numbers. And there was no chance that it could be all of
those things simultaneously, and make calls as well.

These days, of course, the newest cellphones combine all of these functions.
That makes it sound as though the trend is to choose one particularly handy,
portable device - the cellphone - and steadily add more and more features as
memory increases and chips shrink. But it's more complicated than that.

Every small electronic device is adding more and more features, which is to
say more and more of the same features. An iPod is striking for being able
to show movies. But so is a G.P.S. unit that transmits driving instructions
over an FM radio and uses entries in your address book - uploaded from your
cellphone via Bluetooth - to plot routes that may vary depending on traffic
conditions updated by satellite based on real-time information from other
drivers. There is no meaningful reason why the remote control for your new
HDTV could not also place a phone call or tell your new washing machine to
skip the spin cycle. Or, somehow, vice versa.

This means that many small, portable electronic devices are crowded with
redundant functionality, which makes them more complicated and more
expensive than they need to be. How many places do you need to store your
address book or play Tetris? But what feels like redundancy is in fact just
a sign of incomplete convergence. The G.P.S. unit I want has a hard drive
with more room for music files than a midsize iPod Nano. But I already carry
an iPod, and I certainly don't want to listen to music over the G.P.S.
unit's speakers or, for that matter, through an FM frequency on the radio.
Nor do I want to watch a download of "Scrubs" or "Pirates of the Caribbean"
or get my e-mail or balance my electronic checkbook on the screen of the
G.P.S. Not yet, at least.

But before long, there will be a single slim rectangular device in which
convergence is complete. What it is will depend on where it is and what it's
near. We will have no idea what to call it, because none of its functions
will have priority. Lose it, and you lose everything.

What all this convergence means may be a meaningless question, like what it
will cost. But this is not just the convergence of many tools into one. It's
also the convergence of a significant part of our reality into broad,
intertwining strands of digitized data. That is an old prediction for the
computer age - the way everything dissolves into information - but there is
something new in watching so many different kinds of information receivers
become one.

   _____

Yahoo!
<http://sg.rd.yahoo.com/mail/sg/footer/def/*http:/sg.movies.yahoo.com>
Movies  <http://sg.yimg.com/i/sg/widgets/new.gif> - Search movie info and
celeb profiles and photos.
content by the NorMAN  <http://www.mailscanner.info/> MailScanner Service
and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
Systems and Services, Newcastle University.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html