CULTURAL CRIMINOLOGY: CONFERENCE UPDATE

The Second International Conference on Cultural Criminology

12th-13th May 2006, The Goodenough College, Mecklenburgh Square, London,
WC1N 2AB

Dear All,

With the conference now only 13 weeks away, I thought it might be useful
to bounce round a quick update, including details of some of the
recently added speakers and themes.

Alongside an outstanding array of plenary speakers including Dick
Hebdige (University of Santa Barbara, California) Jack Katz (University
of California, Los Angeles) and Jock Young (University of Kent), I'm
delighted to announce that we will also be joined by Professor Angela
McRobbie (Goldsmiths College, University of London) who will be
presenting new research under the title 'Re-visiting feminism: the
gender politics of rage'.

A selection of some of the other recently added strands/papers include:

Professor Frank Furedi (University of Kent) - 'Fear of crime: a problem
in its own right?
Dr. Heitor Alvelos (Royal College of Art) - 'The reversible Murder of
Reality: an encyclopaedia of fabricated transgressions in a free
culture'
Dr. Fiona Measham (Lancaster University) - 'Blast off and Castaway:
alcohol, drugs and the new culture of intoxication'
Professor Willem de Haan (University of Groningen, Holland) - 'The
multicultural drama in the Netherlands'
Dr. Majid Yar (University of Kent) - 'Cultural economy meets political
economy: shotgun wedding or match made in (Marxist) heaven?
Dr. Katja Frako Aas (University of Oslo) - ''You should treat yourself
with a journey': globalization and the criminology of methodological
nationalism'

Other more general panel sessions will turn around subjects including
(but not limited to) crime and gender, the culture of crime markets,
cultural criminology and the internet, drugs and drug regulation,
ethnicity and street socialization, and filmic violence.

Registration numbers for the event are strong and thus those interested
in attending should contact me: [log in to unmask] sooner rather
than later to avoid disappointment.

Please do not hesitate to make contact if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Keith
Dr. K. J. Hayward.
School of Social Policy, Sociology, and Social Research.
University of Kent,
Cornwallis Building,
Canterbury.
Kent, UK,