On 8/17/06, Alberto Fasso' <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I am completely astonished. In Fortran 77 we used to do it all the time,
just assigning the subroutine or function name to a variable
which had to be declared EXTERNAL. All the programs of integration worked that
way.

Yes, but you are talking about the Fortran name of a procedure, and Naomi (I think) was asking about a character string whose value is the name of a string, as in, the user inputs a string "FOO" and then magically subroutine FOO is called.
Aleks