On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 14:26 +0200, Phillip Helbig wrote:
> Not necessarily.  It would if it used twice as many bits for the
> mantissa, but I've never seen an implementation which does this; they
> all used more.

The IBM 7094 did.  The 7090 software used two reals to represent double
precision, ignoring the characteristic of the second one.  The 7094
hardware perpetuated this.

--
Van Snyder                    |  What fraction of Americans believe
[log in to unmask]       |  Wrestling is real and NASA is fake?