A Happy New Year to All

Expect many have been hibernating over the holiday. I was pure dormouse for two weeks. Therapy heaven - body and mind!

No news from Lowestoft except 'Lowestoft Man.' Flints were found here last year which have changed history: people from mainland Europe arrived in my small town 700,000 years ago - and I obviously missed the moment when 'here' was the centre of Britain. Shucks. Yet, with articles on this find in the Guardian and The Times, what a moment to illuminate this poor bit of the East Coast.

***

As previously said on this list, most of my work is via collaborations and projects. With artists Dominique Rey and Pat Derrick I'm working on a 'Waterways' residency in Norwich in the early summer along the River Wensum. While I also teach, I earned more from residencies, projects and collaborations in 2005 from PAYE work. This has got me wondering...

How do you make a living?

I'm only asking because there are (supposedly) 'rates of pay' for freelance work. the ACE "suggested" rate per day of 'contact' work in the UK is a minimum of £175. Build in a day for preparation and this is obviously half that.

A job for a poet recently came up in Liverpool - working with a 'lead poet.' The work involved lots of workshops with children but only £800 was offered (no mention of travel, accommodation, etc - resulting in a pay rate of £50 a day, if lucky). A lot of jobs come up like this. They're Arts Council advertised and funded.

Hence my question.

***

Let 2006 be your sweetest, Rupert