From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">mallin1
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 9:10 PM
Subject: Waterways Project

Norwich's Dragon Hall is the oldest existing merchant house of its kind in Europe. Parts of the building go back to the 12thC, though its focus is on the 15thC, when Norwich became England's second city via the wool trade with the lowlands of Europe.

The building is going through a near £2 million pound clean up/make over and should re-open in April. A brilliant young curator took three of us for a tour. An astounding place. But beyond, John took us on a near two hour tour of the riverside area in the dark! My head is bulging with a sea of liquid history and what I/we can make from this...

Artists Dominique Rey, Pat Derrick and myself have been given a very small grant to work with/around Dragon Hall, next to the River Wensum, whereby we produce an exhibit, an installation or another in May/June.

What we're proposing to do is ridiculous: a small mobile garden shed is the vehicle in which we gather material about the historic River Wensum and thereby use the shed to attract passers by to tell us of what they think of the river today. Pat and I (with a bit of a performance streak in us) will 'call' people to the shed - to interview them, etc.

There will be poetry - there will be life! Originally, we had plans to put the shed on a pontoon on the river, but this would limit people access. So, my plan is that we enact history: Dragon Hall was originally built outside the City and still remains at a distance from the centre. Hence, we hire a boat and take the shed (its history) into the city centre - and thereby publicise this great building. Better still, Dragon Hall want Patricia and I to create a performance in the space itself!

***

I'm either brave or stupid, for I'm giving up my day job (teaching) this Easter.

All best, Rupert