Could I just point out that Adorno is being misquoted?

He said:

Prismen, vol. 10a, p. 30.
Kulturkritik findet sich der letzten Stufe der Dialektik von Kultur
und Barbarei gegenüber: nach Auschwitz ein Gedicht zu schreiben, ist
barbarisch, und das frißt auch die Erkenntnis an, die ausspricht,
warum es unmöglich ward, heute Gedichte zu schreiben. (1955)

"The critique of culture is confronted with the last stage in the
dialectic of culture and barbarism: to write a poem after Auschwitz
is barbaric, and that corrodes also the knowledge which expresses why
it has become impossible to write poetry today."

This, above, is the original reference that is supposed to be quoted.

He also said, (among other reformulations & explications of the
famous utterance):
Noten zur Literatur IV, vol.11, p. 603
Der Satz, nach Auschwitz lasse kein Gedicht mehr sich schreiben, gilt
nicht blank, gewiß aber, daß danach, weil es möglich war und bis ins
Unabsehbare möglich bleibt, keine heitere Kunst mehr vorgestellt
werden kann.

"The phrase, a poem can no more be written after Auschwitz, has no
validity on its own; what is certain however is that after it,
because it was impossible and remains so for the unforeseeable
future, cheerful art can no longer be imagined." [this one my
translation.]

There's a decent PDF essay on the net by Elaine Martin on the whole
subject, which I would recommend to anyone interested in the subject:

http://forum.llc.ed.ac.uk/issue2/martin.pdf

Suffice it to say, that Adorno's statement should not be boiled down
to a soundbite or a slogan: it needs to be seen in the context of his
thought and indeed the progressions in that thought throughout his
career. I think the most important aspect of it is that Adorno was
almost certainly only referring to German poetry - he read no other,
I believe - and that his view would have been that the language had
been so corrupted by the Nazi years that poetry itself had become
problematic, not just after Auschwitz, but after the whole period for
which Auschwitz had become a symbol.

Given my lack of philosophical skill or analysis, I am almost
certainly getting this somewhat wrong. I also shied away from the
translating his other quotes on the subject because I can't handle
his prose most of the time . . .

Tony

Tony Frazer
Shearsman Books Ltd