From: Giles Goodland <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 16:40:14 EDT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Modernism

Hi Chris

Your point reminds me of some discussions I was having years ago in a cultural theory discussion group, I think we had been reading Peter Burger's book on the Avant-Garde, and we floated around the idea that the modernist 'moment' was one that came to all cultures eventually, at a certain stage of development, eg in the West concurrent with the upheavals that led to the Russian Revolution, in Latin America with Magic Realism coming at a stage of political struggle that ended with so many defeated revolutions, it seems a bit deterministic now, but I think it must be true that as a middle class faced a more literate and intelligent working class (as the western bourgeoisie did at the end of the Nineteenth century)  it started to question itself and its culture more. Are we seeing a similar change now as the late nineteenth century change to mass literacy, in which access to the media (as incarnated in the internet) widens culturally and around the world? Such a cultural change would take the form of an explosion of the 'established' popular media, such as TV and newspapers, just as old modernism broke up the novel, poetry, etc. Just a thought.

Giles