Hi Giles,

Iım not sure, really. It depends on what you set up as ³modernism² doesnıt
it and how you define the avant-garde, Daveıs got his take of small places.
Iıd say they were large places which weıve now come to recognise. Though I
think there are important issues surrounding what we permit to be avant. So
often itıs determined by textual practice, but content/subject/object can be
avant, a voice can be avant, especially if it represents something that
weıve never heard before. Innovation isnıt purely textual, is it. I mean to
say, perhaps the single greatest innovation of the last decade is the
democratisation of the arts through the internet. We realise that it isnıt
about a few ³chosen² people controlling as Dave rightly indicates, but about
means of production, and access to audience or readership. Itıs too early to
write more fully or cogently on this. The economy of the arts has shifted
and the policing has moved from the critic/owner to the consumer. The
plurality of modernism isnıt one of cultural sequences in wealth
distribution, and itıs arguable whether certain societies are more advanced
than others. I donıt know of an accurate measure of that. ;-)

Very best
Chris

Chris Hamilton-Emery | Publishing Director | Salt Publishing Ltd
PO Box 937 | Great Wilbraham | Cambridge | CB1 5JX | +44 (0)1223 882220

101 Ways to Make Poems Sell available now! Click below to read more!
http://www.saltpublishing.com/books/sgrw/1844711161.htm

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It is intended
only for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any other person is
unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy,
circulate or in any other way use or rely on information contained in this
e-mail. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you have received this
mail in error, please inform us immediately at [log in to unmask] and
delete it and all copies from your system.