mIEKAL

any thought about including the really early poetry in this spirit, I mean
that poetry 16th 17th century (but with medieval roots) often seen as an
antecedent to English nonsense poetry, but really a genre in its own right, such
as "In the Utopian Tongue"

 The only reference I can find on the web is

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A470954_
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A470954)

but there is a lot about it in Noel Malcolm's excellent book The Origins of
English Nonsense. As I remember this poetry quite often makes the connection
to  outer space, trips to moon etc (I can't remember if Mars is approached
though)

Giles