You asked a question, "can you sex a poem" and I came up with a
plausible way of trying to answer that question. Whether it works, I
have no idea. It would be interesting to correlate your guesses with
any answers it may give. The answers it gives may prove or disprove
the present of an androgyne; that's science for you. Together with
Jane's statement, it's given me a way of thinking about Content and
Voice that works for me. So a reductive method can be used with others
to bootstrap upwards to a fuller understanding.

I wonder if this method could be used to investigate the poetic
predecessors of poets using word frequencies as well? Get enough data
together and I suspect you could.

I agree with a lot of what Jane is saying.

Back when I first started writing in earnest I chose, amongst others,
Adrienne Rich as as an archetype who I followed for a while. I am
conscious now of having followed male poets when I was still
bootstrapping myself into something like a writerly condition.
Shakespeare, the Romantics and  the Kalevala dominated my early
reading. Are there any male poets writing *now who seek female
predecessors? I

Regards
Roger

--