I'm sure you're right and it does seem to explain the reverence for
Adorno amongst Cambridge-influenced poets. However, the phrase,
"Theodor Adorno, he's just this guy, you know?" keeps circling in my
head. From an article in a PN Review - and I don't know how much
credence to give this story -  Adorno helped Benjamin in a lot of
things but apparently *not the most important: getting to a US
institution of learning in the early 40s. Benjamin - a Jew - allegedly
committed suicide trying to escape the Nazis soon after, although the
whole deal, including his missing last manuscript, is shrouded in
mystery. Adorno went on to teach Benjamin's work in Frankfurt.

Umm. We could have like weekly discussions on salient points of
Adorno's and Benjamin's work. That'd be cool.

Does anyone know where I can find Benjamin's essay "The Task Of A Translator"?

Roger

--
http://www.badstep.net/
http://www.cb1poetry.org.uk/