From: Blackboard/Courseinfo userslist [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bell, Jodie
Sent: 18 July 2006 12:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Domain management & guest access - Version 7.1.324.28

Hi all,

We are part of a consortium that shares the same Blackboard software/licence, and we split it into areas based on Institution role. Guest access has always been a problem, as we have the conflicting need to open courses to students by institution without letting users from the other institutions have access.

We are in the middle of testing version 7.1.324.28 and were led to believe that in this version domains would enable us to open courses to guest access for users assigned to that domain only (once they were associated with a domain) – that this would effectively remove our previous guest access problem. In our testing however, we have found this is not the case. A course opened for guest access and assigned to a domain can still be accessed by a user from another institution (with no sys admin privileges).  Does anyone have experience of successfully setting up domains so that guest access is locked down to the users in that domain?  The manual doesn’t cover this and Behind Blackboard is also providing little information.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jodie Bell

VLE Coordinator