Hello

This has cropped up before, I think, so apologies if I'm going over old
ground.

We are having problems opening some files - particularly Word docs -
stored in the Content System (we're on BB 6.2 at present). There is no
problem when a link is made from an Item in a content area on the course
e.g. using Attach File from Content System.

But there is a problem if you copy and paste the URL of the document into
the Internet Explorer address bar; also if you create a link to the Word
document from within a Powerpoint presentation.

In either case you get an IE error message saying that "Internet Explorer
was unable to open this internet site. The requested item is either
unavailable or cannot be found"

A specific example is a file called Programme Hnadbook Adult Branch.doc
for which the URL is:
http://blackboard.tvu.ac.uk/bbcswebdav/courses/MPHP2006trial/Programme%
20Hnadbook%20Adult%20Branch.doc

This is 102 characters long - is it the length of the filename which IE
can't handle? I tried renaming the file to
http://blackboard.tvu.ac.uk/bbcswebdav/courses/MPHP2006trial/PBA.doc - a
mere 68 characters - and still it wouldn't load.

Firefox, incidentally, can handle either of these URLs with no problem, so
it seems it must be an IE-related issue. But, just to complicate matters
further, IE managed to open an MP3 file with a URL 259 characters long!
(the filename itself was 198 characters long)

According to the Microsoft support site, maximum URL length is 2,083
characters in Internet Explorer, while Windows does not support a file or
path name of longer than 255 characters.

I'm baffled, but I'm quite sure someone out there will know the cause, and
probably a solution too.

all the best

Andy Turner