Our user data is populated automatically, so we don't allow users to change
it.  If your system is set up like this too then you could try what I did...

I went to ADMINISTRATOR PANEL  > CUSTOMIZE USER PROFILE and took all of the
ticks out of "Editable".

Setting it like this allowed me to make "modify user properties"
(PRIVILEGES > MODIFY PRIVILEGE > "Control Panel > List / Modify Users >
Modify User Properties") available - because none of the items in Customize
User Profile are editable, only the role and availability can be changed by
an instructor through the Control Panel, not the user details such as first
name, last name and so on.

This is on version 7.1.  I spent a lot of time with a few different
instructor and staff accounts testing how these settings worked before I was
100% happy with it.

Matt
-Matthew Deeprose
-Information Systems Services