Sheree

  I am unclear how deeply your will be loking ti ot the North east's links to slavery for next year.

  it strikes me(as someone with family there, and brought up there from 10) there are various links (which you may well be aware of), and some that could be links, dependent upon how it is being appraoched.

  The Quakers (gon theri website) as we all know had a lot to do with abolition, and had active groups throughout UK. Were there some in North East?

  There is a long history of Shipbuilding in North East, how many of the ships built transposrted slaves or caroge linked to the slave trade (e.g. cargo that was exchanged for slaves or vice versa)?

  Did any prominent ship buidlers or Merchants make a stand against the trade (other than Quakers)

  South Shileds is the Port/Shipping area of North East most linked with the diverse communities, and was involved in action in 1919 when LASCARs and other Black seamen objectted to unfair wages and conditions (there was at the same time a similar revolt in Liverpool).

  1925 brought in the Coloured Seam en act where they were they were restricted and obliged to register, which links to the overal  dynamic between UK and Africa (those tranpsorted against theri will, and those who came to UK for their work, but were not on the whole treat welcomingly or equally).

  As far back as early 1600' there were said to be Africans and Blackamoors in UK, and QE1 famously asked for them to be repatirated. Where any settled in North East, at this toime or much later when the phenomena of "Free Men" & Women started.

  Did any prminent citizens moive to the North east (or visit) bringing theri salves with them?

  Did financierss in Newcastle (and Insurers) engage in the Slave Trade?

  Did the rise of the Labour Parety and Union Movment in North east involve peopel from the African Diapsoria (or the SAuffragette movment) in North East.

  Are there records of any Black workers in the Hospitals or the churches ?

  Were there any Black owned businesses?

  How many people migrated from the North East to the colonies (and subseuwqnelty became involved in Salve Trade or owned slaves)?  We know the Hylton family went over there, who else? (As links to slave trdae do no necessarily mean staying within North east).

  The methodists are also very strong in the North east, what part id they play in thr salve trade, passive or objectors?

  How many balck people were employed at the Ports, shipbuilding trade (it is noted in various UK docmuments that workmen were both Afrcian workers and Black Uk citizens).

  Are ther any diaries (or writings) from prominent people that make mention of slaves e.g. comign across when they travelled out of North East?

  Apolgogies if not relvant or already lookinginto. Hope may be of use.

  Regards

  Tracey Hylton
  BEM Network

  Sheree Mack <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Of course we are being sensitive to people’s feelings and of course the people of the north east were involved in all of the below but there were others who championed the cause, and again I repeat we are looking into the full picture and documenting the whole picture what ever comes up. And in the case of hidden images and evidence, I mean now, not at the time. There are a lot of people in the North east who do not know this past. This is the audience.
  Sheree