Dear Arthur
Your comments “Every effort should be made to draw attention to the  benefits
of the commemoration. I believe it is an opportunity to bring about
reconciliation between Black and White, as well as between African and African
Caribbean” has moved me to respond.
Please do not see my response as a  personal attack, I make it as I have had
confirmed over the past days by being  involved in Dan’s Guardian Blog debate
The Black History Blog
(http:[log in to unmask]@.77505ddc/26  ) my belief that there are still far too many people involved in
education (and  obviously elsewhere) who are ‘assassins’ to the truth as BASA
see it and  reconciliation is a one-way thing only. I mean Black people have
to accept the  pitiful attempts at apology that the establishment is willing
to make about the  four hundred years of slave trade.
Do present day descendants of the  victims of slavery have the right to
reconcile their fore parents’ misery with  people who have never accepted the
enormity of the damage that their ancestors  and nations inflicted on countless
millions of  souls?
This is not to say that anyone living  today is guilty at all of being
directly involved in the barbarous trade that  helped to develop the Western world
into the power that it is today, but Western  Society (with the minor exception
made by the French President recently) have  never fully accepted the
responsibility of their ancestors actions even in an  historical perspective. They do
like to speak of the White libertarians who  finally opposed this form of
slavery but allowed other forms of slavery to  continue right under their noses.
One somewhat basic but immensely useful  book is The Black Holocaust, For
Beginners by S.E. Anderson ISBN 0-86316-178-2.  One myth that this book
challenges is the actual numbers of people that we are  talking about who were involved
in this "Holocaust".
I quote: "The total numbers of slaves  imported [into the USA] is not known.
It is estimated  that nearly 900,000 came to America in the 16th century, 2.75
million in the  17th century, 7 million in the 18th century, and over 4
million in the 19th  century – perhaps 15 million in total [just to the USA].
Probably every slave  imported represented, on average, five corpses in Africa or
on the high seas. The American slave trade,  therefore, meant the elimination
of at least 60 million Africans from their  fatherland”. Please remember that
this was merely to feed the  USA market. If one adds to this the  slaves that
were sent to Brazil and the Caribbean the total would be in excess  of 100
million people and the country that had one of the largest involvement's  was
Britain.
Following the collapse of the racist  regime in South  Africa, Nelson Mandela
sought to establish  reconciliation without retribution. If it was good
enough for Mandela, then it  should be good enough for us all, but what people do
forget though is that  firstly South African was returned to its rightful
ownership and secondly  reconciliation did not mean forgetting or dismissing the
past but actively  acknowledging what had happened and learning from it. Germany
today is  seeking a similar practise with regard to getting its own youth to
acknowledge  without guilt the part that their fore parents played in the
atrocities  committed by the Nazis regime. They are not though seeking to get
Jewish, Roma  and other peoples to ‘forgive and forget’. Is the UK mature enough
yet to follow this example? The Government will not even make a definitive
apology?
I honestly do feel that there could be  some form of reconciliation but
without acknowledgement this will never  happen.
The Honourable El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz once said "You can't drive a  knife
into a man's back nine inches, pull it out six inches, and call it  progress".
The same is true of acknowledgement, in order to start down the road  of
reconciliation, there should be national acknowledgement of the hundreds of  years
of suffering that the African peoples of the world have suffered and how  they
are still debilitated today by the actions of the  past.
In 1999  following the publication of the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry, Neville
Lawrence,  Stephen's father said in a press interview "This is a very small
place this world of ours. We  have to live together & we have to say, let us put
the past behind us. Join  hands & go forward". I so want this to be a reality,
but my experience is  that the rhetoric of apology is worthless without some
tangible and meaningful  action. I use Neville Lawrence's quote, because I
work with the service that  rightly was criticised for its ignorance and swore to
change. All these years  on, I have seen no change and Black people are still
over represented within the  criminal justice system and Black youth are
still disproportionately stopped and  searched without genuine reason.
Lastly, you are right though in that we  have a golden opportunity to start
down the road, so lets use all our influence  to make 2007 genuinely meaningful
rather than just an opportunity for  meaningless governmental liberal ‘gum
bashing’ and self  praise.
Yours with respect and  fraternally
Ruwan  Uduwerage-Perera

Dan, your idea is appreciated. Every effort should be made to draw  attention
to the benefits of the commemoration. I believe it is an opportunity  to
bring about reconciliation between Black and White, as well as between  African
and AfricanCaribbean.
Arthur