Hello Graham , is it worth talking to the MHRA about your situation ? I have a couple of Web sites that may be of lnterest , i.e. www,mhra.gov.uk and www.dti.gov.uk/sustainability/weee.   I think it will depend on whether your viewed as a manufacturer . We are starting to be affected with disposal of powered wheelchair batteries which will have a cost impact on our service.Regard Tony Lewis SRE.
-----Original Message-----
From: A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Newiss Graham (RFF)
Electronis Engineer
Sent: 26 April 2006 15:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Waste Electrical And Electronic Equipment (WEEE) directive
respon sibility

Dear all,

We custom-make a small number of electronic assistive technology devices per
year for clients of our service.

As we don't sell these devices it's my feeling that we shouldn't need to
register as a  'producer' (as defined in the WEEE Directive), and be subject
to all the rigmarole and cost associated with producer responsibility.

How do other NHS deparments who custom-make electronic devices interpret the
directive?

If we don't have to register, the tiny amount of recovered end-of-life
custom-made electronics can probably be disposed of via other available
hospital disposal channels.

I know that WEEE has not yet been incorporated into English law, but it is
only a matter of  time.

Graham Newiss

Chief Technician
Dept of Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering
Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust