-----Original Message-----
From: RESNA's Assistive Technology Forum
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Carol Wheatley
Sent: 24 April 2006 18:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cell phone with speech output

Hi -

Here is another suggestion from a technologist in our office:

Kyocera phones have the capability of voice activation as well as voice
dialing if you use a headset and if the phone is plugged into an
external power supply - like the battery on a power wheelchair.  It has
the advantage of being a mainstream product and Kyocera has very helpful
and knowledgeable customer service.  The only caveat is that the
programming of the voice recognition needs to be done in the noisiest
environment in which it will be used.  Activation of the phone is done
with two repetitions of the command "wake up" - I have to admit that it
usually takes three or four repetitions, but it does work.  Once the
phone activates, it automatically goes into voice dialing mode.  It will
accept thirty numbers for voice dialing.

Susan Levi, CRC, ATP
Rehabilitation Technologist
Workforce and Technology Center
2301 Argonne Drive
Baltimore, MD 21218
410-554-9213 V/TTY    1-800-832-4827  Toll Free
410-554-9222 Fax    1-866-881-7488  Toll Free TTY

Carol Wheatley
Workforce and Technology Center