From: A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Keren Down
Sent: 15 November 2006 18:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Self Care in Assistive Technology

Just thought I'd bring our latest paper to your attention. FAST've looked at the potential for developing Self Care approaches in Assistive Technology, proposed what we think are the key issues and also looked at some existing models which could be used to develop self care programmes in AT.  The full paper (10 pages only) is available to download from the FAST website ( http://www.fastuk.org/)

I think there is an interesting debate to be had within the AT community about sharing risk with users and the formal agreements that probably need to be put in place to allow that more actively. I'm not sure also how professionals feel about programmes to build the capacity of users to manage high-tech EAT themselves more effectively and to gain technical skills / capacity to manage all AT more actively. We've proposed developing training programmes along similar lines to that currently being run by Enable Ireland (which is a joint programme training users and practitioners together) to support users to be competent to manage EAT .

Let me know your views (even if you think it's pie in the sky when we don't currently have decent education / training for practitioners most of the time!)

Cheers.

Keren
Keren Down
Director
Foundation for Assistive Technology - FAST
12 City Forum
250 City Road
London EC1V 8AF

Tel:   +44 (0) 20 7253 3303
Fax:  +44 (0) 20 7253 5990

Reg. Charity Number: 1061636

Why not go to the FAST website at http://www.fastuk.org to find out more about FAST and how you can be involved.

To stay up to date with the latest news on assistive technology why not subscribe to the AT Forum's monthly email bulletin by sending an email to: [log in to unmask]  Check out previous bulletins at http://www.fastuk.org/atforum.php.