very interesting observations Geoff - I have been thinking many of the same things. That is partly why my wiseDX allows the setup to be so flexible (commercial interest?). It is also why it is so important to have a grasp of the clients cognitive profile other than 'he seems bright'. The thing in your last paragraph about nomenclature is also interesting - I have given up trying to explain to clients dad's (particularly if they are technical) how the system works - its so much easier to let the client explore and they figure it out - if you get into the 'now when you hit that switch it does this but only when that light is on but not at the same time unless......' it sounds more complicated than it is.

The thing about switch use is that there is clearly more to it than one would think as you have stated. There is also the issue (particularly with integrated systems but also with VOCAs and computers) of levels of ability with switches. ie you might be reasonable with one switch and a bit rubbish using a second switch - however - you may find the second switch useful for the odd task or two that doesnt require really good control and not often used. Just what task you offer that switch will depend on the clients level of skill with it. I see it as making use of the clients maximium abilities. and now I am in danger of drivling on - but an interesting topic.
Colin Clayton