I can see a backlash coming from clients who regularly attend Day Centres , Respite etc , in their powered EPICS and use Transport. Not everyone has level access to a vehicle and have to negotiate steep drive ways and undulating ground. It looks as if the EPIOC derated is a possible answer , but that can compromise use in a small property. Regards tony Lewis sre.

-----Original Message-----
From: A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Gareth Adkins
Sent: 27 June 2006 09:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: MDA/2006/036 mis use of EPIC's[Scanned]

It doesn't matter whether he had an epic or an epioc, both can be used
dangerously as you point out. However, an epioc would have coped with gravel
relatively better and therefore been safer. Users who are not safe should
either be refused provision or if there is a question of them using the
chair inappropriately there are several options:

Where user is making active choice to use chair against advice, informed
consent approach could prevail, i.e. document that the patient has been
informed of the risks. This has been the case for some of our users who
insist on using an epic to go to the shops etc, rather than withdraw the
chair we advise them they shouldn't be doing this, in extreme cases we do
withdraw the chair, but as you can imagine this usually creates a storm of
protest from all the patient's advocates.

In nursing home situations it would not be unreasonable to ask that adequate
supervision is provided to ensure patient uses chair in an environment they
can cope with, i.e. indoors or out in garden with direct supervision.

Its a controversial subject!