From: A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Nisbet
Sent: 26 May 2006 12:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Free text reader for Microsoft Word

Hi all

You can download a free simple text to speech toolbar for MS Word for Windows from www.wordtalk.org.uk. I know that there are many free and paid-for text readers around, so why another one? Well the nice thing about WordTalk is that it reads and highlights from within Word, makes the spellchecker talk, and costs nowt.

WordTalk is a Word template: if you already have Windows XP with SAPI 5 voices, then just download the template (small and quick to download).

If you need the voices as well, you'll need the full version - beware it's 50 MBs.

WordTalk was developed by Rod Macaulay at TASSCC in Aberdeen and distribution is funded by Scottish Executive Education Department.

Hope it's useful.

Paul

Paul D. Nisbet CEng MIET
Senior Research Fellow / Joint Coordinator
CALL Centre, University of Edinburgh
Paterson's Land, Holyrood Road
Edinburgh EH8 8AQ

Tel 0131 651 6236