Barry
I've not had to deal with this particular problem but here are some
thoughts.

With the suck switch mouthpiece within the mask the user may not be
able to disengage from the switch easily.  This may well be a problem.
Also, I would expect the background pressure to be a cyclically varying
pressure, caused by the action of the ventilator, rather than
atmospheric pressure which would be the case if the suck switch
mouthpiece was open to the atmosphere.  The switching threshold may have
to be set less sensitive to avoid being triggered by the varying
background pressure.

The maximum possible duration of suck switch activation may also be
limited by the ventilator cycle.  We have a patient, with a ventilator
via a tracheotomy, who uses a suck/puff switch.  In his case the maximum
duration is limited to approx. 3 seconds.

Hope this helps

Colin Geggie
Clinical Bioengineer
RES
Eastern General Hospital
Seafield Road
Edinburgh
EH6 7LN
Tel. 0131 536 4695

legally privileged and is intended for the addressee only, If you
have received this message in error or there are any problems,
please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorised use,
disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden.