Hi Geoff

My impression, from your response, is that you feel that  " ..or for free"
implies that they are still being put on the market and therefore need to
be dealt with under the exceptions section. Our interpretation, which
many others adhere to, is that these devices are provided 'on loan',
remainig the property of the NHS. Obviously documentation relating to
this should be provided to the patient/client at the time of delivery.
Under these circumstances the devices are not being put on the
market and are therefore not covered, and therefore need to comply
with local policies for the decommissioning equipment.

cheers

Jeremy

> Hi Graham.
>
> I have a draft consultation paper from the department of Trade and
> Industry, Publication Number URN 04/1335.
>
> It contains the WEE and RoHS directives, DTI guidance on the
> implementation  and some impact assessments etc. I am not sure if it
> is the latest  version.
>
> On page 9, Definitions - 22.    it says producer  responsibility will
> fall on those persons which put equipment ----- "on the  market".
>
> in 23. it defines "put on the market" as "-------- either for payment
> or free of charge."
>
> But,
>
> PAge 7, guidance on specific exemptions includes "Implanted  medical
> equipment and infected medical equipment - applies to all medical
> equipment that has been implanted or has otherwise come into contact
> with blood  or other biological contaminants prior to end of life".
>
> From my point of view anything that has been on a wheelchair is likely
> to  have been contaminated by something at some point.
>
> I am wondering if I need to register, but won't have a quota to meet?
>
> One of the options seems to be to inform your management team of the
> existence of the regulations and to formally ask them for instruction
> on how to  proceed, its their problem then. At the same time, include
> in your user  instructions/documentation - information requiring them
> to return the  equipment to yourselves when no longer needed. RS
> Components sell the  little wheely bin labels as do Farnell.
>
> I have yet to explore all of the routes to compliance myself, but I do
> know  of this company who seem to recycle everything.
>
> _http://www.sims-group.com/uk/home/_
> (http://www.sims-group.com/uk/home/)
>
> I am wondering if I can make an agreement with them or someone like
> them to  let me post my WEEE to them for a nominal fee.
>
> I also intend to contact my local council and see what they are doing
> about  this.
>
> Its a bit like the Medical Devices Directive, we shouldn't really try
> and  avoid it I suppose.
>
> Geoff Harbach
> LEPMIS

> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> Dear  all,
>
> We custom-make a small number of electronic assistive technology
> devices per year for clients of our service.
>
> As we don't sell these  devices it's my feeling that we shouldn't need
> to register as a   'producer' (as defined in the WEEE Directive), and
> be subject to all the  rigmarole and cost associated with producer
> responsibility.
>
> How do  other NHS deparments who custom-make electronic devices
> interpret  the directive?
>
> If we don't have to register, the tiny amount of  recovered
> end-of-life custom-made electronics can probably be disposed of  via
> other available hospital disposal channels.
>
> I know that WEEE  has not yet been incorporated into English law, but
> it is only a matter  of  time.
>

> Graham Newiss

> [...]

Jeremy Linskell CEng,MIPEM,SRCS
Clinical Engineer
Co-ordinator, Electronic Assistive Technology Service
Tayside Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technology Centre
Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, DD1 9SY, Scotland
tel +1382-496286, fax +1382-496322
email: [log in to unmask]
(backup email: [log in to unmask])