Re the pipe.

You could use a differential pressure transducer.

One side is attached/inserted into the side of the mask, the other extends
through the side of the mask ending up in front of the users mouth/lips.

There would be no net differential pressure on the transducer unless the
user closed around their mouth tube and blew/sucked.

Theoretically there would be no loss of pressure to the vent mask either.

I have never done this but it feels like it should work!

Good luck,

          Geoff

G.J.Harbach   I.Eng  MIED  IIPEM
Clinical Technologist
"Access to Communication & Technology"
West Midlands Rehabilitation Centre
91 Oak Tree Lane, Selly Oak
Birmingham, B29 6JA
Tel 0121  627 1627  Ext 53268

This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be
legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing
or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author
by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.