From: A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 23 June 2006 00:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Step Scanning with Head Switches

I must admit to being a little confused (- becoming increasingly
frequent these days).

What do you usually set for a scanning mode using two switches?

Generally step scanning removes the need for timing but the student does
obviously need to be able to physically operate the two switches. Something
to watch is that two switch scanning (especially head scanning
can (does) have repercussions on the whole physical posture and tone of
the student.
I sometimes try the choose switch as a hand switch and the move switch
as a single head switch.
Most of our pupils if thy are using head switches have poor hand/arm control
Since the choose switch is used less frequently it can be operated by a
less controlled movement.

Actually very few of our pupils are capable of controlling scanning
access but It is also much easier to assist scan in a step scanning mode.
for example see Linda Burkhart's article on www.lburkhart.com/hand2sw4s.htm.

Richard Walter
Meldreth Manor School

http://assistech.org.uk/doku.php?id=experiencebase:generalat:switch_scanning