Seguing nicely with the previous post from Liverpool, please find below details regarding a conference at the University of Queensland next April.

Best regards,
Rachel Binnington

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kim Klausner <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Aug 22, 2006 11:49 PM
Subject: CFPs: International Conference on "Bodies of Knowledge," April 26-28 2007
To: [log in to unmask]

I am posting this for a friend. Please do not contact me; rather, if interested, contact Elizabeth Stephens: [log in to unmask]
or Susan Stryker: [log in to unmask] .

Call for Papers—International Conference

Bodies of Knowledge:
Sexuality in the Archive

April 26-28, 2007

Sponsored by
Centre for the History of European Discourses University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia

Confirmed Keynote Speakers:
Alice Domurat Dreger
Catherine Waldby
Elizabeth Kerekere
Rosemarie Garland-Thompson
Susan Stryker
and others to be announced

The turn to new theories and practices of the archive in critical theory, cultural studies,  queer theory, philosophy, sociology and associated disciplines has had important repercussions for scholars working on histories and philosophies of the body.  This international conference will examine the impact of innovative recent work on archives and archival practice for sexuality studies, gender studies and queer/GLBT studies.  The conference aims to interrogate how knowledge about the body is collected and held, as well as how it is produced.  Drawing together scholars from a broad range of inter-disciplinary fields, it will highlight scholarship about bodies, genders and sexuality that is empirically grounded, document based, historically inflected, theoretically informed and self-conscious of its relationship to archival practice.

By calling attention to the relationship between "knowledge of bodies" and "bodies of knowledge," the conference also intends to showcase sexuality-related work in the archives, library and information sciences fields. We are particularly interested in work that examines sexual knowledges retrieved from state archives; community-based archives that preserve forms of sexual knowledge not valued by the state; distribution of and access to sexual knowledge on the Internet and World-Wide Web; and work that understands both body and mind as metaphorical "archives" that hold knowledge of sexuality.

We invite proposals for papers of 20-25 minutes (10-12
pages) in length addressing these or related issues.
Possible topics include:

Sexuality and the state
Archival counter-practice
Community memory and the body
Queer archival practice
Sexual knowledge on the net
Digital and electronic archives
Biotechnologies and data collection
Embodied knowledges
Psychosomatic archives
The body as archive
Memorialisation and the body
Methods of representing bodies within archives

Please send abstracts of no more than 250 words to
both:

Elizabeth Stephens: [log in to unmask] Susan Stryker: [log in to unmask]

Deadline for abstracts is 1 November 2006.
Notification of acceptance by 15 November 2006.

For further information, please contact the conference organisers, or see the conference website at http://www.ched.uq.edu.au/index.html?page=38992.

Elizabeth Stephens
Research Fellow
Centre for the History of European Discourses University of Queensland Australia 4072
Phone: 61 7 3346 9493
Fax: 61 7 3346 9495