Can anyone advise me whether or not there is a central source for the correct form of citation for manuscript references from all Archon repositories?

I am currently struggling to tidy up some less than perfect notes made on visits to archives, in order to cite them correctly in footnotes.  I realise that it's largely my problem for not having checked with each office when I was there, but how many researchers do that?

If there isn't a central source, perhaps we ought to think of creating one, where each office submits its preferred form of citation.

Mairi

Mairi Macdonald
Deputy Head of Archives
Shakespeare Birthplace Trust,
Shakespeare Centre, Henley Street,
Stratford-upon-Avon, Warks.  CV37 6QW. UK.
Telephone 01789 201816 or 204016
Fax 01789 296083
Email [log in to unmask]
www.shakespeare.org.uk/records.htm
Registered Charity No. 209302

This message is solely intended for the use of the person
(s), "the Intended Recipient", to whom it is addressed.  It
may contain information that is privileged or
confidential.  Accordingly, any dissemination,
distribution, copying or other use of this message or any
of its content by any other person other than the Intended
Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law
and is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the Intended
Recipient please contact the sender as soon as possible