Hi Lisa

Online journals have been a boon for those with an Athens login (i.e. a
UK university affiliation), but are no use to independent
researchers.  However, there are some ways round this:

1. Do just sufficient teaching or research at a local university so as to
acquire honorary staff status (and that all important Athens login).

2. Order journal articles through your local library - should cost £1-£3.
The BL charges much more for direct sales because it is passing on a
copyright fee to the publisher. It doesn't have to charge this for supply
of photocopies to libraries.

3. Use Google Scholar - quite good at finding freely accessible PDFs

4. Use Google's ordinary Advanced Search, searching on article title and
file type=PDF If there's a freely available copy, it should come up.

5. email the author of the paper and ask for a PDF, after visiting their
website to see if they automatically put everything online, e.g.:

http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/%7Etcrndfu/downloads.htm
http://palaeoworks.anu.edu.au/publ2005.html

As most archaeobotanical literature won't get online through publishers
(being published in low circulation journals and monographs), we should
perhaps be  putting our work online ourselves. This is becoming
standard practice in the sciences, e.g. for plant evolution:

http://www.botany.utoronto.ca/ResearchLabs/BarrettLab/schb_pub.html
http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/faculty/WendelJ/publications.htm
http://www.agronomy.ucdavis.edu/mcluo/publication_list.htm

Obviously work that is easier to access will be more cited.

Mark