I was able to locate a copy of Panshin and de Zeeuw several years ago.  I
ended up finding a very well-worn copy at www.half.com (owned by ebay).
Amazon.com has several copies available through their used books program,
however, some of these are exorbitantly priced (one copy is priced at
$495!).  I'm not sure any of this helps you since you are in Britain...

Good luck with your search!

_________________________________
Kathy Furgerson
Senior Archaeologist
URS Corporation
200 Orchard Ridge Dr., Suite 101
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
Direct Line:  301-258-5904
Main Line: 301-258-9780
Fax: 301-869-8728

 This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you receive this
 message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
 distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
 the e-mail and any attachments or copies.

             Eleni Asouti
             <E.Asouti@LIVERPO
             OL.AC.UK>                                                  To
             Sent by: The              [log in to unmask]
             archaeobotany                                              cc
             mailing list
             <ARCHAEOBOTANY@JI                                     Subject
             SCMAIL.AC.UK>             Books query

             02/21/2006 06:56
             AM

             Please respond to
             The archaeobotany
               mailing list
             <ARCHAEOBOTANY@JI
              SCMAIL.AC.UK>;
             Please respond to
               Eleni Asouti
             <E.Asouti@LIVERPO
                 OL.AC.UK>

does anybody know where/how I could trace the following titles?

Panshin, A. J. and de Zeeuw, C. Textbook of wood technology. Structure,
identification and uses of the commercial woods of the United States and
Canada. Fourth Edition. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company; 1980.

Schweingruber, F. H. Anatomy of European woods. An atlas for the
identification of European trees, shrubs and dwarf shrubs [Anatomie
europaeischer Hoelzer. Ein Atlas zur Bestimmung europaeischer Baum-,
Strauch- und Zwergstrauchhoelzer.] Stutgart: Paul Haupt; 1990. ISBN:
3-258-04258-6.

I haven't managed to locate them anywhere so I suppose they should be out
of print? Anatomy of European Woods (the large volume, not the one that has

only NW European species) is the one I need most. Second- or even
third-hand copies would do as well !

best wishes to everybody,

Eleni

Dr. Eleni Asouti
Lecturer in Environmental Archaeology,
University of Liverpool
School of Archaeology, Classics and Egyptology
Hartley Building
Brownlow Street
Liverpool L69 3GS
UK