*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

The Centre for Religion and Popular Culture
The Second Annual Conference
Understanding Violence and Religion in Popular Culture
2nd-4th February 2007

CALL FOR PAPERS

The authors of religious scriptures have rarely had difficulty enhancing sacred narratives with the rhetoric of violence. The phenomenon
continues in the easy cohabitation of violence and religion in film, music and literature, and this raises a number of important questions, such as:
To what degree does violent rhetoric shape belief and values? How might we understand the social function of violence in popular discourses? How might we understand audience empathy with violent protaganists in popular narratives? What is the significance of violence being associated with particular religious groups or ideas in the media?

We would like recipients of this email to consider attending the conference. We had tremendous feedback from attendees of last years
conference on Satanism in culture. Apart from discussions about the theme of the conference, the event proved to be an excellent chance to
meet with others interested in religion and popular culture generally. We are certain next years conference will provide the same valuable
opportunities.

We have several slots for short papers (25 minutes) and long papers (40 minutes). Hence, we would welcome proposals for papers on any
area of the relationship of violence to religion in popular culture. To propose a paper, please email a title and brief abstract (no more than
150 words) to Eric Christianson ([log in to unmask]).

Those whose proposals are accepted will be asked to pay a discounted conference fee and will most likely have their papers published in a
volume on the subject.

The conference will be held at St Deiniols Library in Hawarden, North Wales (http://www.st-deiniols.org), from 5:30pm Fri, 2nd February until
1:30pm Sun, 4th February, 2007.

Booking:
To book please contact St Deiniols Library
The conference fee of £125 (£100 to those giving papers) covers dinner, bed and breakfast at St Deiniols Library. All extras (lunch, drinks etc.) will be added to your bill.

The Centre for Religion and Popular Culture
A partnership between the University of Chester and St Deiniols Library

--
Dr Eric Christianson
Senior Lecturer, Biblical Studies