*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

Recently this list has begun broadcasting emails that are of the general
form "Hey, can anyone suggest readings on [insert topic here]?"

While I think that asking this sort of question of friends and colleagues
can be very useful when one is entering a new field of study which one is
unfamiliar with, it also seems, especially considering the time of year
when they are arriving, to be a way for students with pressing essay
deadlines to farm out their library research to the list. This is a problem
that has taken over and even crippled other anthropology listservs, so I
wonder:

a)Is there a moderator on the list who could keep an eye out for such abuse?

and,

b)Would it make sense for AM, if it feels that there is some value in
people posting and answering such emails, to set up a separate listserv for
that purpose. That could keep this listserv from simply becoming a
reference service.

I hope this email does not cause undo annoyance to anyone.

Thank You,

-David Leitner