 ***To all interested in the Edinburgh Local Group of the Royal
Statistical Society (RSS)***

SEASONS GREETINGS!

Our first talk for 2007 is scheduled to take place at
the usual time of 6.00 pm on Tuesday 9 January. The topic should appeal
to a wide audience and therefore we would encourage as
many as possible to attend.

The full announcement is provided in text form later in this message.
However, I would also like to draw your attention to the new website for
the Edinburgh local group of the RSS at
http://www.bioss.sari.ac.uk/staff/adam/rsse/
where you can learn more about past and future meetings of our group and
about the workings of the RSS in general. It is anticipated that this
site will provide an alternative route to sharing information with
multiple recipients, given the problems that can arise with e-mail
attachments.

***Posters for advertising***
====================
Please kindly note that for those interested in advertising this meeting,
a poster is available for downloading in MS Word and pdf formats at the
above site.
To avoid possible problems with sending attachments to multiple
recipients, it is anticipated
that this will be the ongoing approach to distributing our posters for
local group meetings.

We wish you a super festive break and look forward to seeing you in 2007.

Margaret MacDougall, Secretary and Treasurer
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

********** January meeting announcement *************

Collaborators, Consultants or Technicians: How Should Professional Statisticians Interact with Scientists?

DR IAIN MCKENDRICK (Principal Consultant for Animal Health and Welfare, Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland)

Tuesday 9 January 2007, 6.00 pm – 7.00 pm (refreshments at 5.30 pm);
members and non-members of the RSS are all most welcome to attend this
meeting. There is no need to register if you are a non-member.

International Centre for Mathematical Sciences, 14 India Street,
Edinburgh EH3 6EZ (http://www.icms.org.uk/)

*Abstract*

This talk will examine the professional role of a statistical consultant. Statisticians from Biomathematics & Statistics Scotland (BioSS) deliver statistical consultancy to a wide range of biological and agricultural research organisations, and the talk will outline the role that statisticians need to play within such an environment. The talk will review the current activities of BioSS statisticians on ethics committees, will outline the ways in which statisticians can best interact with scientists, and will conclude by assessing the impact of the recent "Joint Code of Practice for Research" issued by a number of funding bodies to manage the quality of scientific research.

  --
Dr Margaret MacDougall

Tel:  +44 (0) 131 650 3211
Fax:  +44 (0) 131 650 6909 E-mail: [log in to unmask]