Thanks to Robert Newcombe (of the Centre for Health Sciences Research,
Cardiff University) and to Eddie Channon (of Chirostat Statistical
Consulting, Nottingham) for replying to my query (see below my
signature). The special name for inverse_g(mean(g(X))is
"back-transformed mean".

My colleague Sue Chinn commented that she cannot think of a scenario in
which anybody would want to meta-analyse correlation coefficients (as
distinct from regression coefficients). I cannot easily think of one,
either, but I was thinking more of differences between proportions,
which are a kind of regression coefficient.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics