Dear All,

Where would I be able to find a description (with the appropriate ANOVA model and table) of a split-plot design with subsampling?

Just in case, let me briefly describe the design. Replications (random) are whole plots randomly assigned to receive one level of treatment A (fixed). Each plot is then subdivided into split-plots, where each split-plot is randomly assigned to receive one level of treatment B (fixed). And within each split-plot, a random sample is taken, constituting the observational units. So, the design looks like this (of course, there could be more levels of the treatments, more replicates, and more subsamples):

		Split1	Split2
      Rep1	Sub1 Sub2	Sub1 Sub2
Trt1	Rep2	Sub1 Sub2	Sub1 Sub2
	Rep3 	Sub1 Sub2	Sub1 Sub2

	Rep1	Sub1 Sub2	Sub1 Sub2
Trt2	Rep2	Sub1 Sub2	Sub1 Sub2
	Rep3	Sub1 Sub2	Sub1 Sub2

Taking the average of the subsamples yields a standard split-plot design. But without this averaging, the subsamples represent an additional random effect in this model and this is a nested effect. I think this design is sometimes used in the agricultural sciences.

Any pointers, hints, and suggestions most welcome!

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer
 Department of Methodology and Statistics