Another approach: the determinant of a matrix is the product of its
eigenvalues.
The matrix J is rank 1 and so has only one non-zero eigenvalue, which is k
(with eigenvector proportional the vector of all ones). Thus cJ has one
non-zero eigenvalue, which is ck. Adding I to a matrix adds 1 to all
eigenvalues,
so I+cJ has k-1 eigenvalues being 1 and the remaining one being 1+ck.
The matrix a(I+cJ) has k-1 eigenvalues being a and the remaining one being
a(1+ck). Multiplying these k eigenvalues and simplifying gives the
desires result.

Best wishes,
Tobias Rydén

--
-- Tobias Rydén                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
   Centre for Mathematical Sciences  Tel:    int+46-46 222 4778