Dear Allstaters,

Please find below information about a forthcoming RSS Leeds/Bradford
Local Group Meeting. Further details can be found on our webpage:

http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/statistics/rss/

All welcome!

Regards, Paul
Dr. Paul D. Baxter
Secretary/Treasurer, RSS Leeds/Bradford Local Group,
Department of Statistics, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT,  UK.
Leeds/Bradford: Thursday 9 February, 3.30pm, Room A126, Civic Quarter
(City Site), Leeds Metropolitan University (Tea from 3pm)

Michael Townsley (UCL Jill Dando Institute of Crime Science)

Reducing Crime Scientifically: Applications beyond discourse, rhetoric,
dogma and the status quo

Crime science is a term coined to describe a type of crime reduction
effort employing a wide range of relevant scientific disciplines. It is
an analogue to medical science which incorporates biology, epidemiology,
physics, chemistry, psychology and much more, for the sole purpose of
reducing ill health (proactively and reactively).

Crime science embraces the premise that most criminal acts are not
undertaken by deviant psychopathic individuals, but are more likely to
be carried out by ordinary people reacting to a particular situation
with a unique economic, social, environmental, cultural, spatial and
temporal context. It is these reactionary responses to the opportunities
for crime which attract more and more people to become involved in
criminal activities rather than entrenched delinquency.

My talk will start by defining crime science and explain how it differs
from mainstream criminology. Next, a range of modelling approaches
(including naive Bayes networks and epidemiological models) that have
been successfully employed in our research will be briefly be discussed.
The final topic will consider some of the crime problems public sector
agencies are likely to face over the next decade. The audience will be
encouraged to suggest what modelling approaches - conventional or
emerging - may best be employed to understand, and therefore prevent or
diminish, these future threats.