Dear all,

sorry if this is a dumb question but I haven't found the answer in
textbooks yet: I have a stratified sample for which I have counts for each
stratum, to be combined into a total value. As this is a sample I would
like to calculate the 95% confidence intervals for my total value. I know
it's straightforward to calculate confidence intervals for each stratum,
but intuitively it seems like the upper and lower confidence limits of the
total will be too conservative if I use e.g. the lower 95% limit for each
stratum to calculate the lower limit for the total.

Any advice most welcome.

Richard.