Dear all,

This question is about estimating a confidence interval for a parameter
about which all we know is its extremes.

The situation is that we have two treatments; medium and high stress, say.
The stress applied is quite variable and has been measured at various point
in time.  We know that between these two points a parameter exists
(specifically the EC50).  What is needed is a pragmatic solution as the
experiments design is not ideal.  All I can think of is to estimate, via
bootstrapping, the distribution of the extremes.

My question is: is it possible to infer a confidence interval from these two
estimates?  I was thinking we could use the CDF of the minimum and the
reverse CDF of the maximum to estimate a kind of coverage probability but I
am unsure of the validity of this.

Any help or references would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Colin Millar.

Colin Millar,

Statistics,

Fisheries Management.

FRS Marine Laboratory,

PO Box 101,

375 Victoria Road,

Aberdeen, AB11 9DB,

UK.

Tel(direct)    +44(0)1224 295395

Tel(reception) +44(0)1224 876544

Fax            +44(0)1224 295511

email      [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

webpage  www.frs-scotland.gov.uk <http://www.frs-scotland.gov.uk>

FRS is an agency of the Scottish Executive