Alexandra,

Others my have completely different standpoints....but

In a former career is was a statistician/epidemiologist working at the
local  level in HIV/AIDS. I also got involved somewhat on the international
level. However,  I'm not up to speed on current international databases.
Hopefully you will get some answers. I would greatly caution you......and
you probably already know these things:

1. the accurate collection of data varies greatly by jurisdiction with the
U.S.....let alone internationally. Take away: be very careful in using  any
data....attempt to  verify the information with one or more other sources.
2. the accuracy of data among HIV incidence/prevalence  and AIDS
incidence/prevalence is, IMO, a four-celled matrix with each cell having
greatly different dynamics. I can explain that in more detail but it would
take a few pages.
3. the date of the "estimates" from some countries is very important
depending on when/if anti-viral drugs and/or prevention efforts  were made
available. Medications fortunately have allowed people with AIDS to live
longer and healthier lives and prevented people with HIV from getting
full-blown AIDS. However, statistically  both incidence and prevalence of
AIDS can be greatly affected. Prevention efforts have hopefully kept many
people from contracting HIV in the first place.
4. one must ask: do the various countries have registries?  if so how
accurate are the registries? OR are the data survey-driven? How accurately
do people answer such surveys? Is the answer to this, in part at least,
culture-driven? etc. etc.
5. how reluctant/non-reluctant are various countries to report their data
in any way shape or form?
6. I could probably add many more points.....but you're interested in
getting data.

Please don't take this as discouraging. The state-of-the-art may have
improved dramatically over the last 4 years for one thing. For another, I
don't know what use you wish to make of this information...for example,
what your tolerance for "inaccuracy" is. For another, Bayesian and other
methods can be used be "help" you with the data you do receive......etc.
etc.

BTW: Forgive me for the many "etcs", ....this, as I'm sure you know, is a
very large and varied area.

Darryl

             "alegarbero@liber
             o.it"
             <alegarbero@LIBER                                          To
             O.IT>                     [log in to unmask]
                                                                        cc
             Sent by: A
             UK-based                                              Subject
             worldwide e-mail          query: HIV incidence/prevalence by
             broadcast system          age and sex
             mailing list
             <allstat@JISCMAIL
             .AC.UK>

             04/17/2006 02:21
             PM

             Please respond to
             "alegarbero@liber
                   o.it"
             <alegarbero@LIBER
                   O.IT>

Dear All,

I am looking for HIV incidence and prevalence data by age and sex.

I am mainly interested in HIV/AIDS most affected countries.
I know that DHS is a major source of information (on prevalence).
However, I was wondering whether you could indicate to me recent articles
on the subject matter, from which I could derive age-sex patterns (5 years
age group).

Thank you in advance

Alessandra