MRC-Biostatistics Seminar Series Spring Term 2006

10th January 2006
Title: Analyses of genetic association studies via haplotype clustering

Professor David Balding
Centre for Biostatistics
Imperial College London

Abstract: Approaches to the analysis of genetic association studies that go
beyond using one marker at a time are often based on the notion of
"haplotype", which can be thought of as a group of markers that are treated
as a unit for analysis. There is support for this approach in the discovery
over recent years that much of the genome has a block-like structure, with
strong statistical dependence between markers within blocks, and little
between blocks. However the "block" model of the human genome gives an
imperfect description of reality, and current haplotype-based analyses have
important limitations: haplotypes are not directly observed, but must be
inferred from genotype data; it is difficult to model the relationships
between haplotypes that are similar and so may have recent shared ancestry;
and it is also difficult to accommodate rare haplotypes. I will discuss an
approach to the analysis of genetic association studies that is based on a
stochastic search for case-rich clusters of haplotypes. The talk will cover
material that has just appeared in Genetic Epidemiology
(http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jissue/107560885) plus some more
recent developments. It is joint work with Ed Waldron (Imperial) and John
Whittaker (LSH).

7th February 2006
Title: A general framework for parametrisation of hierarchical models

Dr Omiros Papaspiliopoulos
Mathematics and Statistics Department
Lancaster University

Abstract: In this talk we describe non-centring methodology for use in
parametrisation of broad classes of hierarchical modelling, with a view to
the construction of effective MCMC algorithms for exploring posterior
distributions from these models. We give a clear qualitative understanding
as to when non-centring works, and describe some theory on the convergence
time complexity of Gibbs samplers using centred and non-centred
parameterisations. We give general recipes for the construction of
non-centred parameterisations, including an auxiliary variable technique
called the state-space expansion technique. We also describe partially
non-centred methods, and demonstrate their use in constructing robust Gibbs
sampler algorithms whose convergence properties are not overly sensitive to
the data. (The talk is primarily based on a paper with the same title to
appear in the Statistical Science. It is joint work with G.O. Roberts and M.
Skold).

7th March 2006
Title: Estimation of Occupancy Probabilities and Other Marginal Features in
Multi-State Models

Professor Jerry Lawless
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science
University of Waterloo

14th March 2006

Title: Using the log-normal distribution to model bivariate survival

Professor Gillian Raab
Professor of Applied Statistics School of Community Health
Napier University

Abstract: With the current trend for modelling survival data as a counting
process and summarising results in terms of hazard ratios use of the
log-normal survival model has become unfashionable. I will illustrate its
use for the bivariate survival problems with negative correlations between
event times and argue that it may deserve to be used more often for survival
problems.

The seminars starts at 2:30pm in the Large Seminar, Room, 1st Floor
Institute of Public Health, University Forvie Site, Robinson Way, Cambridge.
Tea and coffee are served afterwards. All are welcome to attend. (For a full
list of seminars and abstracts please see
www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/BSUsite/Education/seminars.shtml)