Dear Members/Colleagues:

How does one practically interpret the redistributed variance explained by factors following oblique rotaion in pricipal axis factoring (PAF)? In this particular case the unrotated solution (with 5 meaningful factors) explains 51% of the variance (this would mean common variance given that PAF and not PCA was applied). I note the warning given by SPSS that with oblique rotaion the sum of the squared loadings would not add up to the variance (in this case 51%). Indeed there is some meaningful  correlation among the factors. The sum of the variance explained by  the rotated factors is 68% (and yes I recognize that the factors are not mutually exclusive in their contribution). But what do I make of this is a PRACTICAL way? In other words, how do I express this in a report so that others can make sense of the information?

Thanks,
Rossi