Listmates --
   Below is a comment sent to the Licensing Guidance Review.  I tried
e-mailing it, but Richardson's e-mail box was full, so I am sending it
by mail.  The attachments are froim Addiction 99:1083-1093, 2004.
Robin
_
-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Room
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 1:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

Simon Richardson
Licensing Guidance Review Team
DCMS

Dear Mr. Richardson,
   This is a comment on the Guidance submitted, as invited on the DCMS
website.  In 20004, I wrote a commentary on British alcohol policies and
strategies, which included a critical commentary on features of the
Guidance, then published in draft.  You will find that commentary as the
first attachment.  The journal in which it was published invited
commentaries on my piece and a response from me, and they will be found
as the secodn attachment.
   In my view, the Guidance should be thoroughly revised to reflect a
more balanced approach, with public health and order issues given a high
priority than the private interests of current and potential licensees.
   Please let me know if you would like any more detailed comments than
are in the attachments and above.
            Sincerely,
                Robin Room
                Professor, Stockholm University
Guidance Review

On 1 December 2005, DCMS began a two stage review of the Guidance to
licensing authorities and police on the discharge of their functions
under the Licensing Act 2003.

The initial review will be completed by March 2006.  It will focus on
providing clarification or additions to the Guidance on issues where
there is a high degree of consensus amongst stakeholders, including
matters raised during the transitional period.  For this reason, we do
not intend to hold a full public consultation on the proposed revisions,
but we will be seeking views from local authorities and other key
stakeholders.  It is intended that supplementary Guidance will be laid
before Parliament in early Spring 2006.

In parallel with  the initial review, we will also be conducting a
comprehensive formal review of the Guidance, including a full public
consultation to be completed by Summer 2006.  Following consideration of
Parliament by the end of 2006. This comprehensive review will include
consideration of matters that cannot be easily resolved during the
initial review. Further details about the public consultation will be
available on the DCMS website in due course.

The Scrutiny Council initiative will provide key inputs to both stages
of the review.

We welcome any comments on the Guidance from all stakeholders to assist
our consideration during both reviews.  The deadline for comments for
the initial review  is Friday 17 February 2006, but please remember that
you will have further opportunities to comment during the second phase
of the review.   Comments should be sent to:
[log in to unmask] or,

Simon Richardson
Licensing Guidance Review Team
DCMS
2-4 Cockspur Street
London SW1Y 5DH

Please note that all information in responses, including personal
information, may be subject to publication or disclosure under the
Freedom of Information Act 2000.  If a correspondent requests
confidentiality this cannot be guaranteed, and will only be possible if
considered appropriate under the legislation.

http://www.culture.gov.uk/alcohol_and_entertainment/monitoring_and_evalu
ation/guidance_review.htm